Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cake in a Mug (Low Carb)

The other day I was winging about wanting cake and not having cake and obsessing on cake and where the hell is the cake (etc., ...you get the idea...), when my friend and co-worker suggested that I could make a low carb version of "Cake in a Mug" when I got home. To which I replied, "A who-in-a-what?" And so she sent me the link: Cake in a Mug.

So tonight, still jonesing for some CAKE, DANG IT, I tried it, modifying it for my low carb world. I also added a dash of salt (because I'm me) and threw in some yummy chocolate chips b/c just cocoa with Splenda can be a bit sad. And it worked! It was absolutely fabulous! Cake craving totally handled, thank you very much!

LOW CARB CAKE IN A MUG

1 well-beaten egg
3 T milk
3 T oil
4 T almond flour
4 T Splenda
2 T cocoa (sifted)
dash of salt
small handful of chocolate chips
1 large coffee mug, empty

Beat egg in mug (my pal, Tiny Whisk, to the rescue again). Add milk and oil, mix well. Then add dry ingredients, mix well. Toss in the chocolate chips, stir, and then microwave for 3 minutes on high. Cake will rise out of the mug while cooking, but that's okay, it won't spill over...it's baking. Turn out the baked mug cake onto a saucer, let cool a bit, and then EAT IT. Be very happy. Make mental note to thank Shanan again and again and again.

Freshly baked Cake in a Mug, just turned out onto a saucer.


If you break it apart, it cools faster, and so you can eat it sooner!

Really, you could do this recipe for almost any dietary restriction. DH is about to make one using regular sugar and rice flour (since he's not worrying about carbs, but needs it gluten free.) So handy, so quick, so satisfying.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Ohmygod! Ten minutes ago I had not heard of a cake in a mug and in that much time I made one, cooked it and ate it! That was fabulous and way too easy...I'm in trouble now!